Back when I was still deciding whether or not to go to France, I had coffee with a friend of a friend whose family is from Togo but who lived in Paris for several years before moving to the United States. She had some great advice and was incredibly encouraging, giving me the extra motivation I needed to take a chance on moving here. She also put me in touch with a family friend of hers (SB) living in Montpellier.
A few weeks after I arrived in Lyon, SB and I made plans to get together the 29-30 of November. From the first moment, she was incredibly warm and friendly. We spent a few hours at her cozy apartment, talking and eating a delicious homemade lunch of butternut squash and quinoa. I learned that she loves food as much as I do and is a talented jack(ette)-of-all-trades. She has taught herself how to sculpt and paint (her home is a reflection of her creativity and inspiration), and she also makes jewelry and sells it on the French equivalent of Etsy. We had a quick little craft session after lunch - check out my new earrings!
Later that afternoon, we took a walk in the old, scenic part of Montpellier, crossing our fingers that the weather would hold out despite the forecast for rain all weekend. We strolled by the cathedral, the arc de triomphe (Paris doesn't have a monopoly on triumphal arches, it seems), the main square (Place de la Comédie), a lovely park, and several cute shops and restaurants. It didn't take us long to see the center city. I knew Lyon was much bigger than Montpellier, but I didn't realize just how small Montpellier is!
After our sightseeing tour, we ducked into a little tea salon to warm up for a bit before heading back. On the way, we walked through the Christmas market, admiring the lights strung across the narrow streets and enjoying the lively atmosphere. There were a ton of people out despite the drizzle that had finally started (and later turned into a steady rain).
Later that evening, we ate dinner at a delicious Thai restaurant called "Les Petits Siamois" and then went out to an eclectic bar/music venue where SB's friends were performing that night. It was a blast dancing to the music all night!
The next morning, SB and I walked over to the Montpellier Sunday market, where we picked up some potatoes and onions to make a Spanish tortilla, as well as some cheese (Tomme = my new favorite) and some prepared savory dishes to round out lunch.
| Market produce - so fresh, the snails are still on it! |
Overall, it was a lovely weekend with a really lovely person, and I'm looking forward to getting back to Montpellier at some point. I'll definitely pick a weekend with better weather for next time - the beach awaits!
No comments:
Post a Comment